Below are resources to help you in the career exploration and preparation process. This list does not include everything, but will hopefully help as you develop and achieve your career goals.
Things to Think About
As an international student, there are a few important things that you may want to think about as you search for internships and full-time employment.
- Making time to gain experience in addition to your studies is VERY important. You can start right on campus through involvement in student groups, doing research with professors, volunteering, on campus jobs, or internships/co-op opportunitieis.
- Securing an authorization to work in the United States or elsewhere can be complex. It is important to start early and learn about the different visa options. Check the Office of International Students and Scholar (OISS) for additional information OISS.
- Being aware of the expectations for getting a job in your home country or culture and how they might be different from those where you’d like to work will make you a better prepared job applicant.
- Your unique cultural background and skills may make you especially attractive to organizations that have an international focus such as political and cultural non-profits, large Non Governmental Organizations (NGO’s) and multinational companies. Resources such as the “Directory of American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries” and the “Directory of Foreign Firms Operating in the United States” can help you find them.
- Networking is important - Connect with professors, classmates, organizations and alumni working in the industry and try joining portals like LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com) for professional networking.
International Student - A premier international student and study abroad website providing news, information, resources and so much more about being an international student and preparing you for your study abroad experience.
4 International Careers & Jobs - This site is the leading world-wide directory of quality job sites and career resources. It covers 190 countries and includes more than 1000 international job sites and career resources classified according to 18 categories.
H1Base - An online, interactive database that allows international students to directly connect with the top 550 H1B Sponsor Companies. One component of the database is an immigration kit that provides links to immigration forms, information on application processes, and free access to immigration attorneys. A second component is a networking kit that provides links to job search engines and job sites specifically designed for international students.
OverseasJobs.com - Career Resources and job opportunities for professionals, expatriates and adventure seekers. Search for jobs worldwide and land your next great job today!
istudentcity.com - A unique collection of information, services, and products for international students.